Homemade Sugar-Free Fat-Free Frozen Yoghurt
I first started looking into frozen yoghurts available from the supermarket a couple of days ago and I was disappointed to find out that, although the fat content is minimal, these are definitely a no-no during the Dukan due to the added sugar.
Just to give you an example, every 100g of Yog Fat Free Natural Probiotic Frozen Yogurt only contain a trace of fat (yay!) but a whopping 19.5g of carbs, 10g of which are sugar (nay!).
So I decided to do some research online when I came across with this forum thread which details an incredibly easy recipe for homemade sugar-free and fat-free frozen yoghurt suitable for all phases of the Dukan Diet, including Attack and PP days. The recipe is a winner and I hope the girls on the forum won’t mind me sharing it with you all.
The only downside of this recipe is that, unless you have an ice cream maker, the process of making frozen yoghurt is very time consuming so it’s perhaps best to prepare at the weekend when you know you’re going to be in the house for a good couple of hours.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: at least 4 hours without ice cream maker, less than an hour with ice cream maker
1 large tub of fat-free natural yoghurt (500g)
3 teaspoons of sugar-free jelly (I used Hartley’s strawberry flavoured)
3 tablespoons of boiling water
Let’s get cooking
1. First of all, place the boiling water and the sugar-free jelly powder in a small bowl and mix well until the jelly has completely dissolved and there are no lumps stuck to the bottom of the bowl. Let the mixture cool down for two minutes
2. Place the yoghurt and the jelly syrup in a food processor and combine together. If you haven’t got a food processor, you can also do this using a spoon but be careful to mix the two very well together otherwise you will end up with big lumps of solid jelly in your frozen yoghurt. This is the basic recipe for your frozen yoghurt.
If you have an ice cream machine
3. Pour the yoghurt and jelly mixture into your ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to obtain smooth and guilt-free frozen yoghurt
Without an ice cream machine
4. Transfer the mixture into a freezer safe container, pop the lid on and let is set for 30 minutes
5. After 30 minutes, take the container out of the freezer and give it a good stir, ensuring that you break up all the ice crystals and the yoghurt is smooth before you put it back in the freezer
6. Repeat this process every 30 minutes until your Dukan frozen yoghurt has reached your desired consistency and serve immediately. When I tried this recipe without the ice cream machine, it took approximately 4 hours for the yoghurt to set and thicken
Do try this Dukan-friendly frozen yoghurt at home
Fancy making this scrumptious homemade sugar-free fat-free frozen yoghurt in less than an hour? Here are my recommended budget ice cream makers: